Tuesday, May 5, 2009

ILLUSTRATOR AND RAMPAGE

My name is Nikki, I am a Prepress Manager at Clinton Press, in the great city of Greensboro, North Carolina. I am constantly running into crazy mind boggling issues with electronic files sent to us. But Hey, that is what the prepress department is for right?

No files are ever created equally. Any prepress person would know that, LOL. Although it can be a challenge sometimes, it is rewarding when you can figure out a way to make it all work. I am always looking for tips and tricks, blogs, etc. to find the answers I need. So I have started my own blog. Hopefully some of the things I run into can help others out there in Prepress and the Printing Industry. And who knows maybe a few Graphic Designer will read it also. A great way for the designer to save money on the cost of prepress to fix the files for printing.

We use a ripping system called Rampage, I love it! I have worked with other systems and Rampage is my favorite. It may not always work the way we need it to, but I personally think it is the best out there. Today I will talk about a problem I had with Illustrator and Rampage.

Have you ever had trouble with a rule or other piece of artwork in an Illustrator EPS file that you ripped with Rampage and no matter what you did it would knockout? My company had this trouble a while back. When you see this happen your normal routine would include running it through trapit in rampage to manually select the item and tell it to overprint. Well that doesn't work!

Finally I went to the Illustrator file selected the rule that would not overprint. I then click the windows tab at the top in illustrator to select the Attributes palette, then click overprint! Woo Hoo! Problem solved now the file rips wonderfully.

Have a great day everyone and check back for more tips and tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment