Monday, January 25, 2010

Digital Printing Problems

Happy Monday Y'all!


Remember a couple of months ago when we had problems with the client's PDFs dropping out images and having problems with printing after it is processed through the rip on our Xerox Digital Printer?

Well I have run into the same problem several times since then. It seems that the PDFs look great on the screen and when printed to a laser printer. So the opening of the PDF in photoshop to flatten the transparencies does not work all the time.

What I have to do after I open in photoshop is flatten it then save as an eps, then I have to create a document in Indesign. Next import images that have been flattened in photoshop and re-do another pdf of the entire document. This almost always works. I believe the problem is the complex objects and shadows.

Also I think the complexity of the transparencies and shadows on top of each other in Indesign is causing a problem inside the rip. But if I get the original Indesign files, my pdfs I create from the original file usually work.

Since there are so many different settings in Indesign to create a high resolution PDF, it would be best to send the native Indesign file along with the High Res PDF to your printer. This will cut down on the cost and time in prepress trying to fix a PDF that is fine before it goes to a rip for a digital press, or plates.

Contact your printer and talk about the settings to create the high resolution Pdf before you release it to the printers.

Thanks and Have a Great Week!
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment