Monday, December 14, 2009

Fake Bleed on a PDF in Indesign

Hello,
Happy Holidays! Are you ready for Christmas? I just about finished my shopping. Years fly by so quickly these days.

Today I am going to tell you how to Fake Bleed a file in Indesign. Since we have been doing alot of digital printing lately, some people do not understand or even forget to save the PDF document with 1/8th of an inch bleed.

If I receive a PDF of a file that has a solid border or background I set up the Indesign file the same size as the PDF sent in. Then Import the PDF into your Indesign file. Go to the Window Tab: Output: then Separations Palette.

Next hold the arrow over the border or background color after you turn on the separations palette. Now you can read the measurements of color. My document has 40 cyan, 40 magenta, 40 yellow, and 100 black. Next I make the color as cmyk and add to my swatches.

Next draw a box, with bleed added and put the new color you made into it. Send it to the back, make sure it doesn't show through, if so change the linked image background color to paper.
Now you have 1/8th of an inch bleed. Next you can save your PDF out with the bleed and send to the digital press or ripping program.

Happy Holidays!
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment