Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Problems with PSD files in Indesign

Good Afternoon,

Today I'd like to talk about PSD files (photoshop files save as a PSD Photoshop Document). Lately I have been running into some problems with pdfs created from Indesign that have PSD files or links inside the Indesign file.

Just the other day I received a file from a customer (PDF file) that had a line curved across the bottom. The line appeared jagged almost low resolution. But when I ripped the file in Rampage, it did not give me an error of a low resolution file.... very weird. So we decided to contact the customer. She said maybe it was because she had a link in the Indesign file that was a PSD file type.

So she went back to her PSD file, resaved it as a tif and relinked it in Indesign. Then she made a new high resolution pdf to send to me, and wow what a difference! It looked great, the line was not jagged, it was very smooth.

I think what happens when you have a PSD file it takes up more than double or even quadruple the amount of memory than a flattened, non-layered tif or eps photoshop file does. So when you put it in the Indesign, the memory ends up being outrageous. I think the files trys to process all that and you can end up with small weird things happening to little tiny parts of the files.

The best most sure fire way to get the file to look correct it to flatten all arwork you may have in photoshop and save it as a tif or an eps file. Then use that inside your Indesign file. This will prevent anything strange going on once it gets to the printers.

Hope this helps with PSD problems. Have a great week!
Nikki

1 comment:

  1. Mkay i may be a complete idiot but I have designed something in indesign and my client has asked for a psd verion of that artwork. Is there any way I can convert it in indesign or do I have to recreate it in Photoshop?

    ReplyDelete